Monday, August 9, 2010

An "After Hours" Call

We take turns doing the bedtime routine with Gabriel. Tonight was Patrick's turn. Gabriel went "potty," brushed his teeth, said his prayer, then they read a book, had "talk time," discussed all of the shadows in his room (we're at that phase right now), and tucked him into bed. You would think that would be enough to ease him into a peaceful sleep.

But, since we are at the phase of scary shadows and avoiding bedtime we often get several "after hours" calls from his room. We are trying to break that habit, so I was a little irritated when he called me in there tonight.

Gabriel: Mama, can you rock me and sing?

Mama: Daddy already put you to bed. I will rock you and sing to you tomorrow when I put you to bed. Please go to sleep. I love you...goodnight.

Gabriel (a quiver in his voice): You can't just leave me here, Mama.

Now what am I supposed to do with that? When he says stuff like that I think of this:

Where does he come up with these things to say? Of course I had to rock him and sing him a few songs. I know he is three, but he's still my baby. Heavenly Father needs to bless me with another baby so I can stop babying my 3yr old (that is how I justify it anyway).

"You can't just leave me here, Mama..." No, I cannot and I never will.

2 comments:

Tanis. said...

I love the last line of this post. Beautifully stated and always true.

Tanis.

Sapp Family said...

Ursala! Did I ever tell you that I totally love your blog!? You are so creative! And Gabriel, such a funny little man. I wish we lived closer so I could watch him grow! Love you all so much!