Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Gabriel's 4th Birthday

We recently celebrated Gabriel's 4th Birthday! I feel like it wasn't too long ago that we were celebrating his first birthday. Well, I guess "technically" it really wasn't that long ago, but time goes so fast, and there is so much growing-up done between 1yr and 4yrs. This time next year we will be getting him ready for Kindergarten - I can hardly believe it!

1st Birthday

2nd Birthday
3rd Birthday

 
4th Birthday
We are so glad to have this little guy in our lives, although right about now he would be telling me he is NOT a little guy...he is a BIG BOY! He is the sweetest, handsomest, smartest little boy I know (I'm allowed to be bias).

The other day I was getting frustrated with him, because he likes to play games on Sesamestreet.org, but he kept closing the window, and I would have to open it and set it all up again. So, I raised my voice a little after having to do it for the 3rd time and the following conversation took place:

Gabriel: "Well, I guess I'm a BAD boy!"
Me (a little taken back): "Why do you say you are a bad boy?"
Gabriel: "Because you are mad at me, Mommy."
Me (feeling a little sheepish): "Just because I'm upset doesn't mean you are a bad boy. It just means I'm upset with something you did. I know that you are a good boy and you can make good choices. Do you think you are a good boy?
Gabriel: *Nods Yes...with tears welling up in his eyes*
***I had to give him a hug after that.***
 
A FEW MORE FACTS ABOUT OUR 4YR OLD:
•He is constantly teaching us new things...especially about ourselves.

•He DOES NOT like to get in trouble and takes it pretty personally. But, now that he's a "Big Boy" he doesn't usually cry about it...he gets tough...and then gets mad right back at you...usually with arms crossed, eyes rolling, heavy sighing and stomping.

•He can do everything HIMSELF...and even if I know he cant I let him try to do it himself until I start hearing sighs of frustration...then I offer help.

•He LOVES to explore and ask questions.

•Lately he has taken on stuttering...especially when in deep thought.

•One of his favorite things to do is dance CRAZY with Daddy.

•In Primary (to encourage scripture reading) they have scriptures strips they mark off every day and turn in on Sundays. Gabriel is adamant about turning them in, and the other Sunday we forgot to turn it in after dropping him off at primary. Within seconds he came running out of the Primary room crying, "Daddy, WAIT!" When we asked him what was wrong he said through tears, "We forgot my scripture strip."

•Gabriel likes to be in charge and isn't afraid to be bossy (although we sometimes have to nip that one in the butt)

•All the young women at church go ga-ga for Gabriel because he is so cute!

•Like most boys, he finds silly things like bodily sounds, bum shaking, and any manner of stinkiness funny.

•He is in that "Look What I Can Do" phase of showing us all sorts of jumps, skips and tricks he can do

•And although he is a "Big Boy" he's still all about the hugs and snuggles.

We love our Gabriel and enjoyed celebrating his "Pirate" birthday with friends!

All Decorated for the Party
Treasure Chest Cake
Pirate Buddies: Dominik, Gabriel & Justin

Goofball Pirates: Patrick, Josh & Kellen

Sword Fight (although it looks more like an attack on Patrick)
 
Having fun in the sandbox

Wade LOVED playing in the water

Ready for a water gun fight
LOVE how Alexa had to get right up to Wade to squirt him, and he didn't even notice!

Need to Fill it Up Again!

Guess you gotta watch your back!
The Mamas: Jenn, Katee & Ursala
The Mamas - Take Two


Cute Maddie

Singing Happy Birthday
Katee with her Kiddos

Cute Delaney enjoying her cake!

Opening Presents (this was actually a few days before the party)

Opening the BIG one from Grandma & Papa
What is this????
The Play Tent Grandma & Papa got him
Inside the GINORMOUS play tent!
Opening more presents at his Birthday Party

The Aftermath: In his room after all 2-4yr-olds have left the room!
 It was fun and I know Gabriel had a blast! He told me after everyone left that it was the BEST birthday ever!

5 comments:

Katee Nebelski said...

I just can't get over how cute your family is! :) Thanks again for inviting us to the party!

JoshandJen said...

It was an awesome party!! My kids had a blast, and holy cow when I got to the last picture, after we helped with the downstairs, I didnt even think to check upstairs to help clean up, so sorry!!!! :)

Scott and Lindsay said...

How fun! Did you make the cake yourself?! I love it! Looks like you have wonderful friends too!

Lisa said...

So cute! I love reading about all the little things he's into and says. I'm glad to know that my boys are completely normal ;-) Happy 4th birthday! What a sweet BIG boy!

Sarah said...

what an awesome cake!! did you make that?? Happy (LATE!) birthday to Gabriel!