Saturday, February 25, 2012

Turning 32

Last month I celebrated my 32nd birthday.

I really don't like admitting that.

I remember as a teenager and even during my early 20s I wanted people to remember and celebrate my birthday it was kind of a big deal!

But, these last 5 years (or so) my desire to actually celebrate my birthday has completely dwindled. Perhaps because it isn't so fun to celebrate the general direction my age is taking? I think it also has to do with my disdain for being the center of attention. But, mostly I have these two guys in my life who get so excited about my birthday that I don't even have to anymore. (*wink*).

I think as we get older our perspective and priorities change, and certainly when you have children the "self-centered" days of youth shift to the more important "family-centered" purpose. So, my birthday has become less about how "I" want to be celebrated and more about how my life is worth celebrating because of the people who complete it.

However, that doesn't stop a handful of good friends from throwing a little surprise birthday dinner. My good friend, Jenn Anderson was secretly texting Patrick (a week prior) about planning a get-together and trying to find out what would be my favorite meal. With the help of the Macey's and the Nebelski's I unsuspectingly showed up to what I thought was one of our regular Sunday dinner get-togethers, and it turned out to be a surprise...decorations, cake and all! While I was completely embarrassed to open the door to all eyes on me shouting, "Surprise!" I really enjoyed all the company and food. One of my favorite foods is tacos, and Jenn took it a step farther by recreating Cafe Rio style tacos - YUM! She even got my mom's recipe for Oatmeal cake (which happens to be my favorite) and made that for my birthday cake. It was all very thoughtful and greatly appreciated.

Gabriel, Justin & Dominik - posing in the decorated living room

Waiting for the Birthday Cake

Blowing out candles


Good Friends: Katee Nebelski, Kami Macey, Me, Jenn Anderson

Then there were these guys...

My actual birthday fell on a Tuesday, so we still had to have cake and candle blowing  (per Gabriel's request), which is ALWAYS more exciting when you have a 4yr old to help you out!


1 comment:

Katee Nebelski said...

You make the age of 32 look fantastic!