Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Watching Gabriel Grow...

I don't know why, but hearing Gabriel tell people that he is five is so hard for me to hear. Being two or three or even four still represents those "baby" years for me, but FIVE...that's when they start school and start to really show their independence and think for themselves. So, I suppose that doesn't really count as being a "baby" anymore...*sigh*... but I still love him like he is my baby. I think the three biggest developmental changes I've seen in Gabriel this past year have to be:
1. His ever-growing independence.
Gabriel will be the first to tell you that he is a "Big Kid," because he does big-kid things like:
-Taking big-kid showers and washing himself without help (but mommy or daddy peek in just to make sure he isn't missing any spots)
-Making his bed every morning
-Picking out his clothes and dressing himself (I have NO say in this...he has come up with some "interesting" outfits)
-Brushing his teeth and combing his hair without any help (usually means EXTRA wet hair in the front while the back cowlicks have been neglected - but there is no helping him - HE can do it by himself!)
-Doing big-kid chores like taking out the trash and setting/clearing the table
-Going to the bathroom by himself at church (that's about the only place I feel safe letting him go alone into a restroom).

This new-found independence contributes to Gabriel's growing confidence, which means that he is pretty sure of himself in newer settings and certainly willing to say goodbye to mommy and daddy when we need to leave him for babysitting or parties or school.
Fixing his hair...

His hair is so wet that its dripping down his face!
This is how he makes his bed on most days. He even folds his blankets and
arranges his stuffed animals.

I thought it was cute how he arranged his stuffed animals.
BUT...even a Big Boy can be worn out by a long day of playing
(He fell asleep playing a race care video game)

2. His amazingly developed imagination.
I LOVE how much Gabriel's imagination has come to life. Often I will just sit and watch and listen to all the places his little mind takes him. I would say his mind is in "imagination mode" more than anything else, and at a moments notice he will be completely immersed in his own world. The other day we were at WalMart picking up a few groceries, and I turn around to see him sitting in an empty spot on one of the bottom shelves pretending he's in some sort of a ship - totally unaware of the world around him. It's even more fun to watch him pretend with his friends - all the role playing and "missions" and "protecting" and "saving." I know this is a normal part of every 4-5yr old's development, but I guess as an adult you forget about all the places and adventures a little imagination can take you, and I can't help but to enjoy and be drawn into all of the imagined adventures of my 5yr old.
Being the "Handy Man" around the house.

3. His ability to express and understand emotions.
Over the past year or so we've been trying to help Gabriel understand his emotions and how to express them appropriately to avoid melt-downs and tantrums. As he has continued to emotionally develop he is starting to recognize and understand these emotions in himself and in others. He's gotten pretty good at recognizing when HE is upset and will usually scowl and fold his arms and pout (sometimes stomp) and tell us he is mad. If he's too upset he will send himself to his room or to the stairs (our time-out spot). It's pretty darn funny, and we try not to laugh, because I don't want him to think we don't take his feelings seriously, but sometimes we just can't help it.

The other day we were in the car listening to the UB40 song, "Don't Break My Heart" , which prompted the following conversation:

Gabriel: "Mommy, I know what this song is about."
Mommy: "Really, what?"
Gabriel: "It's about feelings."
Mommy: "What kind of feelings?"
Gabriel: "Feeling sad and mad and love."

I was pretty surprised that he was able to gather all of that and have that basic understanding (which also reminded me to be that much more conscientious about what lyrics/music we listen to).

For Father's Day we made a card for Patrick where I took pictures of Gabriel holding different letters and making different faces to spell out "I Love Daddy." Like any typical 4yr old he had a short attention span and started playing around too much and I was getting impatient, because I just wanted to get the pictures done. So, I snapped at him, which prompted one of Gabriel's famous sulks, which I was able to capture on camera. It's just too darn cute if you ask me! If you ask Gabriel he was kind of embarrassed and asked me NOT to put this picture up.
Look at that dirty look...
The Finished Product

We are so blessed to have Gabriel in our lives. He is the sweetest, smartest and most affectionate little boy. He is so eager to learn and explore the world around him, and I'm positive that we learn more from him than he does from us. We are often told by others that Gabriel is the "Exception to the Rule" when it comes to being a well-behaved kid, and he has really made parenting so easy for us. He is so eager to please and be a helper and "choose-the-right"-I hope this continues for him. Acting totally ridiculous and silly is also a part of his repertoire, and when you put that together with his Daddy...lets just say it can get pretty crazy in our house! He is at this stage where he LOVES to tell jokes - even if they are more ridiculous than funny. It doesn't help that his Papa bought him two joke books for his birthday! We just love our Gabriel and watching him grow!
Gabriel and his cars...always "parking" them somewhere

A few "Deep Thoughts" by Gabriel:
Dinner can sometimes be a struggle with Gabriel...
Mommy: Gabriel, why arent' you eating your dinner?
Gabriel: I don't know
Mommy: Don't you like it?
Gabriel: nods yes
Mommy: well, obviously you don't because I keep having to ask you to eat it.

30 minutes later Mommy goes to YW activity that evening and Gabriel has the following conversation with Daddy:
Gabriel: Daddy, I have a question.
Daddy: What?
Gabriel: When I don't eat my dinner does mommy get sad? Does it hurt her feelings?
Daddy: Well, it might. She works hard to make our dinner and we should appreciate what she makes for us. Why do you ask?
Gabriel: Oh...I was just thinking

BEDTIME
Daddy puts Gabriel to bed. A few minutes later he hears Gabriel crying in his room.
Daddy: What's wrong, Gabriel?
Gabriel: I'm sad because I hurt Mommy's feelings. I'm going to try really hard to eat all my dinner.
----------------------------
While tucking him into bed:
Gabriel: Hey Mommy?
Mommy: Yah?
Gabriel: Daddy was watching a show about a leopord and it died and all the animals were looking at it. (*short pause*) I think they were looking at it because they were sad that he died.
Mommy: (A little taken back by this observation/conclusion)...I think maybe you're right...
------------------------------
Gabriel: Mommy, I know it takes magic for Dora and Blues Clues to jump into pictures and books. But, whenever I try it just doesn't work! Have you ever tried to jump into a book?
Mommy: Yes, but it didn't work for me either.
Gabriel: Well, we must not have the right kind of magic.
-------------------------------
I was getting ready to head to my baby shower and Gabriel stops me and says:
"So, whose baby is getting a shower?"
I said, "The shower is for our baby."
Gabriel: "But, our baby isnt born yet so how can they give him a shower?"

No comments: