Monday, March 9, 2009

In Memory Of...

Bubu Wainise Vakatalai
April 1926 - March 2009

Mother, Grandmother, Great Grandmother, Wife.


My grandma passed away yesterday morning in Fiji. She had been in and out of the hospital these last few months, so it was expected, but too soon for me.

She was my second mom; I grew up with her in the home and she took care of us while my mom was working. She taught me Fijian...how to pray in Fijian, sing in Fijian, speak in Fijian. She never complained and I grew up knowing that her grandkids were her greatest treasure.

She had the opportunity to meet some of her great grandchildren: Frank (Doreen's son), Patrick (Gabriel's son) and baby Gabriel (my son). For me it was special for my grandma to meet my firstborn son and after holding him for the first time she said, "Now my life is almost complete."

I will miss my grandma...I will miss our regular conversations...and her joking that she always wanted me to send her chewing gum even though she had no teeth. I will miss sending her a sweater every Christmas, because that's all she ever wants.

And I'm glad I had the opportunity to learn so much from her. She was a perfect example of humility, patience and love. I know that I will meet her again one day, and I'm glad she has moved on to the next part of her life to spend it with my grandpa.

"MOCE MADA, BUBU. O YAU LOMANI IKO VAKALEVU. VINAKA VAKALEVU NA DAU VEIQARAVI."

(Picture: Bubu with Baby Gabriel - 6mo in January 2008)

3 comments:

Todd and Angie Powell said...

Aren't Grandmas Great! Thanks for sharing she sounds like a wonderful person!

Sapp Family said...

Thanks for posting this! Grandmas and grandpas are magnificent people. I love hearing their stories. Love you!

Macbeth 6 said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss- I am so glad that you would share her wonderful wisdom with us. What a cute Grandma- there is nothing like em. Hope you guys are well. We miss you!