My mom recently flew out here and spent the week with us. In fact, she just left earlier this week. We had a great time, and sadly, since I was so busy enjoying her company this is the only picture I took (I'm kicking myself for that one). I think the older I get the more I miss my mom. I think before I was just too young and dumb to appreciate her...and now I'm old and wise...well, not really...at least the part about being old. (*wink*). Gabriel was so excited for her to come. He talked about Grandma coming to visit on a daily basis and was so excited to pick her up at the airport. And then as soon as he saw her he wouldn't say a single word to her or even give her a hug. All he could seem to handle was holding her hand, but Grandma was just fine with that. It didn't take long (less than a day) before Grandma and Gabriel were best buds again.
(On a side note: We've noticed that it is customary for Gabriel to kind of shut down whenever in a more intense emotional moment. He even gets like that when one of us has been away from him for the day. It's like he gets overwhelmed with his feelings. Unfortunately, that applies to all of his emotions accept anger.)
We spent the week building snowmen and sledding, playing games, coloring, painting, playing cars, celebrating the New Year, visiting, a little shopping and eating out at a really good Indian restaurant and trying the local Steak N Shake. Gabriel took Grandma to the library and gave her a "tour," which consisted of showing her the parakeet named "Sky," the fish tank, all of puppets and building blogs and trucks, and picking out a chair just for Grandma to sit on to read books with.
Then it was time for her to go.
We were all sad, and faced a blizzard to get her to the airport. Gabriel still thinks Grandma is at the airport and that we should go and pick her up.
We miss you, Grandma!
We miss you, Grandma!
No comments:
Post a Comment