Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Birth of our Heber (8/02/12)

I loved being pregnant this time around...at least until the last few weeks. But, who doesn't hate the last few weeks of pregnancy??? I started taking belly profiles when I began to "show" - around 20wks. I took them every 4 weeks  after that. Not only can you see the progression of my growing belly, but you can also see the ever-changing progress of my hair! I never realized how much I changed my hair until doing this little compilation!
 
So here we are...the beginnings of little Heber growing inside of me until he was born on August 2, 2012.
 
He was actually due on the 5th of August, but the last two weeks I began to gain weight rapidly and began to retain water like nobody's business. Urine protein were also high enough to make my OB nervous, so at my 38wk appointment he suggested a c-section if I didn't go into labor by the 1st. I suggested we at least wait until my mother arrived on the 2nd, so we scheduled the c-section for the 2nd. Induction was not an option due to my previous c-section, which meant about a 30% success rate of laboring and delivering successfully via induction- odds that I did not like.
 
Over the course of the week I experienced a few sporadic contractions, and before I knew it the 2nd had arrived and I was nowhere near labor. So, we left Gabriel and Grandma snuggled in bed at home as we checked into labor and delivery at Akron General at the bright-and-early time of 5am. They got me in right away - all changed and started on fluids and a hundred of the same demographic questions over and over. Met the the surgery team, and reiterated my distaste for vomiting and pain during the procedure (as happened during my c-section with Gabriel), and before I knew it I was being escorted back to the O.R. The spinal block was performed (least favorite part), and the anesthesiologist and I communicated about my fluctuating nausea as the procedure began. He was all over it, and I was able to avoid vomiting.
 
Patrick joined me, and about 20 minutes later we heard the cry of our little Heber. Instantly after hearing that cry - before even seeing him - I knew that I loved him. All of my concerns about loving Heber as much as Gabriel were instantly put to rest, and my joy and love for him overwhelmed me. About 10 minutes later Patrick brought our little bundle of joy over for me to meet and kiss. I REALLY wanted to hold him right then and there, but I had to be satisfied with kissing his little forehead.
 
They finished closing me up and gave me a narcotic cocktail to help with the pain over the next 24hrs. Supposedly it wasn't supposed to have an affect on me, but I had the lovely side-effect of vomiting for about 5hrs straight and insane, all-over-body itching for about 24hrs, which was annoying when trying to hold or nurse my baby or sleep. That is probably my only complaint about the whole procedure - everything else was great, and a HUGE improvement compared to my c-section with Gabriel.
 
FIRST we had to welcome Grandma at the airport.
Gabriel made this cute sign for her.
 
 
THEN we welcomed Heber into the world on August 2, 2012 at 8:20am.
8 lbs 11oz and 21 1/2 inches long.



Meeting Heber for the first time!

He immediately found his thumb!

In recovery...pretty much the only few seconds I held him...was sick the rest of the time

Proud Daddy!

Our cute, litle Heber...looks just like Daddy!


 

Later that afternoon Grandma and Gabriel came up to meet Heber

Gabriel was SOOO excited to meet and hold his baby brother!
Grandma meeting Heber
I would say it was "love at first sight"
The next day...first family picture
Gabriel couldn't get enough of baby Heber

 

Daddy snuck a shot of us while we were sleeping

Loaded in the carseat and ready to head home!

Gabriel made all sorts of "welcome home" signs...

I thought these were the cutest!
 


5 comments:

Aja Jemmett said...

Thanks for sharing your birth story! Glad to hear things went a lot better (minus the side effects). I'm so jealous of how great you look after labor... I look back and pictures and all I can think of is a balloon. lol You are your family are so beautiful! Love you!

Katee Nebelski said...

Yay! Your updates make me happy. :)I really love your first family picture.

Heather said...

Congrats! Heber is very cute. I love to see the older siblings love the new baby and Gabriel is the sweetest older sibling I have seen in a long time. I am very excited for the four of you.

Heather said...

Congrats! Heber is very cute. I love to see the older siblings love the new baby and Gabriel is the sweetest older sibling I have seen in a long time. I am very excited for the four of you.

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

Such great pictures and stories! I love birth stories because they are all so unique and beautiful, minus the side effects of course. We just love your beautiful family!