The world cup this year was held in France (for those of you new to Rugby it is held every 4 years) and the venue is always decided by voting. This years RWC (rugby world cup) had a lot of surprises. The minority teams like Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Namibia and Georgia made a big impact during the world cup. They proved that they could face teams like the New Zealand All Blacks, Australian Wallabies, South Africa and England. It was sad to hear that rugby legend David Campese was against having minorit
y teams play in the RWC and was advocating dropping minority teams from the 2011 World Cup, because he felt they brought little value/experience to the RWC games. But, Campese should remember that all teams - even the minority - must qualify in order to compete in the RWC. Although these minority teams may not be "big league", teams such as Tonga gave both England and South Africa a run for their money in this years RWC.
Personally, I was hoping the All Blacks would win this years World Cup, but I must say I'm not feeling too bad that both Australia and England lost. The final featured England and South Africa, and was one of the most boring World Cup finals I've ever watched. In the end South Africa won not because they are a "big league" team, but because they played the best game as a team.-Posted by Patrick



3 comments:
Fiji did awesome in the tournament ! We were crushed when the all blacks lost ... argh ... they better bring it home 2011 ! especially as the trounament will be held IN new zealand ..
Patrick, I tried to follow the world cup this year and new that South Africa won, but since coming back home to the States since serving my mission in Australia, I haven't found anything that broadcasts the game - where did you watch the games?
Cory
Trude: I have been an all blacks fan for the longest time. They are the greatest team in the world. The 2011 RWC will be awesome.
Post a Comment