Gabriel was beginning to get attached to his bink. He was beginning to need it at bedtime and want it for mid-day soothing. I was beginning to want it too, because teething and toddler tantrums can sometimes be temporarily soothed with a bink.That's when I knew it was time to get rid of it. I didn't want to have to deal with coming up with any creative rituals or stories when he was old enough to reason with.
So, a few weeks ago we were down to his last bink when it mysteriously disappered one night (actually Gabriel threw it somewhere and I wasn't going to look for it), so that was it. That was the end of the ol' bink. It only took two nights. He had a harder time going to sleep, and he woke up a few times at night and wouldn't go back to sleep unless I went in and rocked him. Usually if he woke up at night he would find his bink in his crib and put himself back to sleep, so he had to adjust a little. But, that was it. We're done! (P.S. I did find his bink later in order to prevent any relapsing).
We were done with the bottles a few weeks before that and have officially moved to sippie cups. We had been using transitional sippie cups since he was 7 months old and waking up and going to bed with a bottle,but now we are on to big-boy sippie cups and the bottles are put away.
Now, if only potty-training was that easy...thank goodness we still have another year before having to do that!
3 comments:
yay...no more binkies or bottles! i still haven't given Aimee a bottle. hmm...now that i think about that, i wonder when i am going to start using a bottle for her. that's so good that gabriel isn't using his bottle or binkie anymore. usually it takes longer for kids his age to get used to having those things around. i'm so proud of him! he really is becoming a big boy!!
Sounds smart on your part! Mere never took a binkie or bottles which has been nice in some ways but binkies could be useful at times...
That is good you got rid of it now. THey do get more attached to it the longer they have it. Still dreading to try potty training again. I just don't want to do deal with her sass! But I am so sick of changing her diapers now. Ahhh!
Post a Comment