Well, I can't sleep...it's 1:11AM...I've cleaned, packed, fidgeted and fussed...looked at everyone's blog on my blogroll...fidgeted and fussed some more. I'm always like this before a trip. We are getting ready to head to Oceanside, Oregon tomorrow morning. My parents are renting a beach house and driving us all there. We are stopping in Seattle for a few days to pick up my brother (who is flying into Seattle) and do the tourist thing. We are all really excited, but that's not why I can't sleep. Ever since having a baby I always feel like I'm missing something...like my work isn't done...even though I've over-packed (sorry Dad) "just in case" I might miss something.In other news my baby...who was the biggest baby in the nursery for the entire week we stayed in the hospital...is now a tiny, little bean. We had his 12 month check-up on Monday and he hasn't even broke the 20 pound mark! What are his stats you might ask???
Weight: 19lb 11oz / 5th percentile
Length: 29inches / 25th percentile
Head Circumference: 18.75 inches / 75th percentile
My pediatrician made the comment of how he is surprised that Gabriel is so little considering:
A)He was almost a 9 pound baby
B)I had gestational diabetes, which often results in a large baby
C)He has large parents
He was actually a little bit concerned because the gap between weight and length has continued to increase, so we reviewed his diet and eating habits...all of which passed his specs. So, he concluded that Gabriel is eating well, he is active and healthy therefore he must just be a "little bean" (those are my words in quotes).
I wonder if he is just going to be a little guy? Any of you moms out there had a similar experience?
Well, I'm off to force myself into bed and maybe sneak a little Mario on my DS before tossing and turning myself to sleep.
"nai-nai" as Gabriel would say...
5 comments:
Funny, I was just going to post about this. Saki went in for his 18 mo. checkup, which they usually don't have, but my doctor was also very concerned about how small he was. At his 12 mo. appt he was only 19 lbs. At 18 mo., he is barely 21 lbs. I was nervous too and had him on a high fat diet. He was not even on the charts at his 12 mo. appt. He's in the 5th percentile right now, in all measurements. My MD was concerned because he has bigger parents as well. Ife's mom later told me he was extremely small as a kid. Miraculously, my dr isn't worried anymore. I guess since he hasn't lost weight or gotten smaller, he's fine. Once I stopped worrying about it, he started growing. He's still very small though. I guess we just think they should automatically be big kids. Sorry it's such a long comment, but just wanted to let you know you're not alone.
How fun for you guys to go on a vacation! And as far as Gabriel goes, as long as he is eating and happy then don't worry. Someone has to be in the 5th percentile right? We have a little runt as well. Cash looks like he is about 6 months old. People are always shocked when he starts crawling around.
Hi Ursala,
I would not worry about Gabriel too much...if you've seen Patricks old pictures you would have noticed that he was not always big, infact he was quite skinny and did not start putting on a bit until like his senior year in high school then really got big on his mission...so don't worry..plus kids grow at their own time at their own pace, just enjoy your healthy active baby boy...
Noesheen was born 4.1kg which is what like 9 pounds, but for the first six months she did not put on too much weight, now at almost four, she is way above the normal height for a four year old...he happy and way to energetic for her own good...so chill!
have a fun vacation!
hey ursala~i hope you guys have lots of fun on your trip. be sure to take lots of pictures!! i can't wait to see you guys again.
I hope you are enjoying the oregon coast. I love it there!!!
Both my babies have been in the 50% percentile for weight and 95th for height. So kieran was big but now he is only average, 5'11 and bout 170lbs I guess. so he worked in reverse from big to small.
I dont know why the US docs are so hung up on weight...in NZ many would focus on nutrition not weight. If they are eating a balance and have the energy to do what babies do, then they are all good. If he is learning, playing, being active... then enjoy your little bean!
Post a Comment