When Gabriel was first born people kept telling us that he would grow so fast and to enjoy every moment, but at the time we were hearing those words of wisdom there were many sleepless nights and I found myself thinking, "Well, I hope it goes faster than this." But now we find ourselves wishing it was the day we brought him home, because it all has gone so fast. It seems like every day Gabriel is learning something new and surprising us with his little personality.
We celebrated his first birthday at my parent's house in Billings. We wanted to keep it a family affair, and that was the nearest meeting point for most of the family. We had Great Grandma Betty and Great Grandpa George, Grandma Sandee and Papa Mike, Nana Fiji, Cousins Julian, Jory and Aimee, Uncle Brad, Uncle Nephi and Aunt MaryAnn. I'm so glad everyone could come. It made it very special!
I spent WAY to much time stressing and preparing Gabriel's birthday cakes...I don't think I'm going to make another birthday cake again. It didn't turn out how I would have liked, but I was glad (as was everyone else who was tired of my stressed-out attitude) when the cake was finished.
Nana Fiji (Patrick's Mom, Matila) brought all of the mats and masi to do the traditional Fijian ceremony for the 1st birthday. It was lovely and very special and I'm so glad that Gabriel will grow up experiencing his cultural heritage.
We had dinner and brought Gabriel his birthday cake. I was waiting to see how he would react to the singing and staring, but he loved it. He was so delicate with his cake. He admired it at first, and gently took tiny, baby bites of it. Then his DADDY had to take his hand and shove it right into the middle, which REALLY upset him. But, after that he enjoyed a few more bites before I took it away for fear of sugar overload.
We watched a slide show my dad put together (similar to the one in the post before this), which brought tears to my eyes. Then we opened his presents, which he lost interest in as soon as he saw the first toy.
It was a special birthday and we are so grateful to have Gabriel in our lives!



5 comments:
That is neat to have a mix of cultures. Brava.
Im glad it was a fun night. I have to say Ive never understood the culture of giving a separate cake for the kid lol.. but I guess thats all part of his American culture to celebrate too. And you did a FABULOUS job of them, well done!
first of all the cakes looked great...you should be proud of yourself! Here in the islands its one cake for all!!! And Little Gab looked so handsome in all the tapa. I have to start planning for Noesheen birthday which is in a month..its wonderful when they are younger and still coming to terms with what all the fuss is about when its their birthday as they get a bit older, they will want their birthday everyday if it can be helped! Good on you Ursala, and its good to final see an update on your blog.
Urs, he is soooo adorable. I can't believe how fast they grow either. His birthday cakes were cute, Avery's was an absolute disaster. I will never try something new for an event like that.
He is soooooooo cute! I especially like all the cute faces when he is on the mats. It looks like you enjoyed his first birthday. It is amazing how time flies when so many times it seems to stand still. It only gets faster from there so enjoy every moment. What a beautiful family you have.
I know the stress of the cake, but yours turned out great!! I think when you make the cake you see all of the flaws and imperfections. To everyone else they look wonderful!! I have learned to find the easier pans with fewer colors! Anyway, great job! I enjoyed all of the pictures.
Post a Comment