Sunday, November 7, 2010

Have I Done Any Good

Next week is our Stake Conference, and we've been asked (as a stake) to read Luke 15.

In short this chapter tells a story where there were Pharisees that murmured at the sight of Christ talking and eating with "sinners." Which, led Christ to speak three parables to the Pharisees: The Lost Sheep, The Lost Coin, and the Prodigal Son.  The point at the end of each of these parables is that the Lord (and we) should rejoice at the return of a lost and repentant soul. We should reach out to those, in love and charity, who have wandered or became lost.

This topic and these parables are close to my heart, because I have wandered, and I have loved ones that are currently lost, and sisters that I visit teach who need to be brought back to the fold. I wanted to record my personal experiences and insights on this, because it's something important to me and I want to include it in our family book (which I use this blog for...and later print).

I like to look at these three parables as having similar themes, but different purposes.

The Lost Sheep: The sheep was lost because he wandered away. Probably not intentionally, but he became distracted and didn't pay attention to where he was going.


The Lost Coin: The coin was lost due to the neglect of the owner. I think this teaches us about how we need to fellowship and include our fellow saints. Especially when we offend another. We then have the responsibility to make right or search until we find that which was lost.

The Prodigal Son: The son was lost because he chose to. He didn't wander, and it wasn't due to neglect by his father. He planned to leave and probably could not be convinced to return. It wasn't until he went through great suffering as a result of his transgressions that he returned.


During the first several years of our marriage Patrick and I seemed to wander. Although we were married in the temple we took for granted doing the simple things that strengthen a person's testimony...and keep them from wandering. We became distracted by more worldly things, and became lazy with our church attendance, scripture reading, prayer and temple attendance. While we knew better and had been raised better it became a slippery slope. We had wandered and now felt lost. We were unsure of how to come  back with a fullness of heart. There was guilt and a lack of fellowship. We knew what was right, but our desires were dimmed and overshadowed with feelings of unworthiness and guilt for not doing the things we knew to be right.

We sought the counsel of our Bishop and he reminded us of all the things we needed to be doing, and that a "change in heart" would not come about until we consistently did these things. I think I prayed for months...even a few years for the Lord to give me the desire to do these things...to have a desire to go to church with a glad heart, a desire to serve in a calling; a desire to read my scriptures again.

It wasn't until we were humbled by some circumstances that left us fully relying on the Lord that I had my change of heart. I wasn't left to wander alone...He heard my cries and found me and carried me on His shoulder, and brought me to a place where we have been shown an immense amount of love and fellowship and welcoming.

LUKE 15:
4 What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine ain the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?

5 And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.

6 And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.
7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance. 

My visiting teaching companion and I are assigned two sisters, and both of them are inactive. We continually call, and send our Relief Society newsletter...along with personal notes. One sister we were able to get through to, and she shared with us that she was an endowed temple member, but had not been active due to past sin. In fact, when she had gone to her bishop for help with repentance she became offended and felt guilty and did not return...for over five years. This sister needed a lot of fellowship and love, and it seemed to have been lacking over the past five years. She says she is ready to come back and is trying to overcome her feelings of guilt and inadequacy. We continue to try and assure her of the joy that will be felt by her, the Lord and all the members that have missed her for so long. This has just been a reminder to me of the importance in doing our home teaching/visiting teaching and also fellow-shipping those around us whether they are strong, active members or less active. We must light a candle, sweep our home and seek diligently to find the lost or offended one.

LUKE 15:
8 ¶ Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it?
9 And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost. 

I have a family member...a "prodigal sister" who has been lost for so long...15 years. I'm sure the Lord weeps over her...I know I do. She has made the choice to wander and chooses to be lost from the fold. Many have sought to bring her back, but she does not desire to return yet. I know some of it is due to guilt and feeling inadequate, some of it was because of how her situation was handled by members of the church. But, ultimately she has made a choice, and only she can make the choice to return.  
In a situation like this, I feel it is our responsibility to be there...ever ready to accept them back into the fold and make the return as easy as possible. We must NOT stand without charity, insisting that every last farthing be exacted as payment for the privilege of repenting. In the parable, when the father saw his son coming from a distance he could have automatically assumed he was coming for more money, yet he fell on his neck and kissed him. I hope that is what we can do when we have a prodigal in our life. I hope that we can be ready, with compassion and charity, to forgive and rejoice at their return.
LUKE 15:
11 ¶ And he said, A certain man had two sons:

12 And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.

13 And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.

14 And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want.

15 And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine.

16 And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him.
17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father’s have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!

18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,

19 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.

  20 And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.

21 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.

22 But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:

23 And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry:
24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry. 
  
I know the Lord loves each and every one of us. He wants to see us succeed, and that is why He has provided us with a way through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and He rejoices when a lost soul returns to the fold. That is why the first commandment to us is to Love One Another. We must show love and charity to all those around us, but especially to those we know who are lost; who may need a little help, a little reminder, a little fellowship, a little love and charity to be welcomed back into the fold. 

So, as a reminder, I try to watch this and ask myself: "Have I Done Any Good in the World Today?"

4 comments:

JoshandJen said...

Ok, as I read this I am balling my eyes out. I could not have said this any better than you. I loved reading this and it is a reminder and an example to me of what I need to do in my own life. I have also shared alot of your experiences and have felt the same things you write of. Most of my family are not members and I have 1sister that we visit teach who is inactive too, I know that we must never give up, and that hope is not lost for anyone. I am so grateful for your spirit and testimony of the gospel of jesus christ, you and your cute family have blessed our ward!

Sapp Family said...

Ursala! What a beautiful post! This makes me want to be a better person and to try harder! Thanks for the reminder. I love you!

Tima said...

Thanks for sharing your feelings, advices and testimony. I LOVE this post!

Belle said...

thank you :)