I am proud to say that I am a member of one of the oldest AND largest women's organizations in the world. Better yet, this organization is a sisterhood that dedicates itself to seeking out and helping those in need, strengthening family & homes, and increasing our faith & personal righteousness.
It's an amazing organization that is about 6 million strong world-wide that includes women of all backgrounds, race, culture and age. I love how every woman is so lovingly accepted and given the opportunity to share and develop their faith, talents, independence, learning and leadership potential. But, above all I am so grateful for the charity and love it promotes - charity for the soul, the mind, the temporal and spiritual needs out there, and the all-encompassing love of Christ.
This past Thursday the Akron Ohio Ward celebrated the 169th year of the Relief Society organization. It was a fun evening that focused on the amazing history and sisterhood of this organization. For our particular celebration women signed up to bring a food that represented their family heritage. Sisters also signed up to decorate a cake themed for one of the twelve tables that represented each month of the year. Then when all the women arrived you sat at the table that represented the month you were born in, which allowed all of us to get to know each other more. We also enjoyed a wonderful presentation on our own local Relief Society history, which focused on the Relief Society Presidents over the past 50 years. We had the opportunity to hear from several past Relief Society presidents who spoke about what the organization was like during their time. It was a neat experience to hear all of that and enjoy each others company.
I decided to bring both a family dish and a cake. I enjoy cooking (although I'm not always the best at it), and I made a special family recipe that came to my grandmother through a relief society sister during her time. It's this YUMMY meatball-type recipe called Fingerlings. It was fun to prepare it knowing that I'm the 3rd generation in my family to serve this recipe to other relief society sisters. I also made my grandmother's red velvet cake recipe and a had a lot of fun decorating the cake and trying everybody's family recipes!
![]() |
| (Fingerlings: Secret Family Recipe!) | >>>
![]() |
| (Red Velvet Cake) |


1 comment:
Sister Tora,
This was such a beautiful report about the R.S. and your part in the dinner. Thank you so much for sharing with the ward history!!! I would love to see your blog more often. You are a gifted person. Love, Sister Zitzman
Post a Comment