It is such a privelage to be a
mother - not just a parent, but a mother. I love that Heavenly Father gave women the blessing of bearing children, and the tender, nurturing capacity to teach and love a child. As Lehi told his sons, "Men are, that they might have joy," and I believe part of this joy he speaks of is the blessing of children.
Those who are close to me know that we have struggled to have children. It took us several years before we became pregnant with Gabriel. I spent many a night and day in prayer to my Heavenly Father pleading for the blessing of a child. I find myself in similar circumstances today. However, I also pray daily with a deep gratitude for the child that our lives have been blessed with. For the opportunity I've been given to be a mother, because I don't think I have or will ever know a greater joy than this.
 |
| Mother's Day Flowers |
For Mother's Day my sweet little Gabriel made me the cutest card and picked tulips from our little flower garden. He was SOOO excited to give me these things and tell me how much he loves me and how beautiful he thinks I am. I often catch a glimpse of how my Heavenly Father sees and loves me through the eyes of my son. It's so pure and unconditional, and he sees only the beauty and good in me. What a special blessing.
 |
| Beautiful |
 |
| Tulips in our Flower Garden |
I've also been blessed with wonderful women in my life.
 |
| Mom & Grandma - Good times in the kitchen |
 |
| Mom - holding Gabriel |
 |
| Mom with me (circa1981) |
My mother struggled for a long time as a single-mom, but she always worked so hard to provide for us. I think the one thing that has stuck with me the most about my mom is her constant and continued faithfulness in the Gospel. I remember as a child her efforts to have family home evening, daily scripture reading and getting all of us to church EVERY Sunday. I watched her serve dilligently in her callings, especially as a Relief Society president in a newly established ward where more than half the ward was reliant on church welfare. She loved and served, and always said that the best way to find joy in our own trials was to serve others. She should know as she faced some very challenging trials that most of us will never have to experience, yet she stayed close to the Lord and endured while finding the will to love and care for her children and serve those around her. She is still that example to me today, and I'm so grateful to be blessed with such a strong, smart, beautiful, loving and faithful mother.
 |
| Grandma (Age 16) |
My grandmother is just as special to me as my mom. She has always been very involved with us, and I've always had a close relationship with her. She is this sweet, beautiful, soft-spoken woman who has shown me what it means to have Christ-like love for others. She has always been able to overlook the shortcomings of others and focused on their good and their potential. She is the most unselfish person I know, and I hope I can always remember and follow her example of patience and unconditional love.
 |
| Grandma with her twin brother - Bill (2006) |
5 comments:
What a sweet post! I especially loved what you wrote about Gabriel and children seeing us the way Heavenly Father sees us.
Yes, I totally agree with Lisa's comment! I totally was teary eyed reading this post for many reasons, you are such a wonderful mom and right things so well and have such a great outlook on everything that I wish I could more like that! I also wish (and always have)I could say that I felt that way about having a mother in my life period, thank goodness for wonderful women in my life through having great friends to help fill that void. I love the pictures of your family, 3 beautiful women!!
What a beautiful post! I love the pictures of your mom and grandma. :) And Gabriel, as always...is such a sweetheart. Love you!
what fun pictures! and thank goodness for such great examples of kind, faithful, righteous, Christ-like mothers!
Amazing-didn't know that abt your mom! I think you're a wonderful mother too! My brother and his wife are struggling for more kids too. I am glad the Lord is mindful of each of us and our personal trials!
Post a Comment