Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"You're Taking Too Long..."

I had big plans on Monday. The semester was finally done for both Patrick and I, which meant I could put more time into cleaning my house (which had been sorely neglected the past month) and finishing up little projects and starting new ones. Patrick also started his job on Monday, which also meant more time to get things done, because when he's around all of my plans go out the window (we just like to enjoy each other and have family time). So, Monday was my "get-stuff-done-day," and I even got up bright and early to get a head start (those of you who know me know that "bright & early" is NOT my thing, so obviously I was quite motivated).

I was cleaning and organizing and had the automated babysitter tuned to my son's favorite show when I felt two arms wrap around my leg and a little voice say, "Mommy, I love you too..." his way of prompting an "I love you." I said  my "I love yous" and sent him back to the TV.

A few minutes later...
Gabriel: "Mommy, can you play "store" with me?"
Me: "Maybe after I get this cleaning done."
Gabriel: *SIGH*

10 minutes later...
Gabriel: "Are you done yet, Mommy?"
Me: "No, but soon..."
Gabriel: *SIGH*

5 minutes later...
More arms around the leg and another "I love you too..."

15 minutes later...
Gabriel: When are you going to be done?
Me (irritated): Gabriel, Mommy has things to do, and I won't be able to play until my chores are done.
Gabriel (with a little quiver in his voice): "But, Mommy, you're taking too long and I need you."

That's when I realized I had made all these plans to take care of all the things I had neglected the past month (due to school papers, tests, homework, church stuff, work, etc.), but I hadn't considered how neglected Gabriel must have felt, and how unimportant my "To-Do" list was at that point.

It could all wait.

We went and sat in the living room. He brought his cash register and his wallet and told me I was the customer and he was "the person" (cashier).
Gabriel: "Hello, how can I help you today?"
Me: "Hi - I would like to order pancakes, bacon and eggs please."
Gabriel: "What do you want to drink? We have orange juice, water, Sprite and strawberry milkshake."
Me: "I'll have a milkshake please."
Gabriel: "That'll be six dollars."

I hand him my money and he pushes all the buttons and hands me some change. Then he starts making all my food (with sound effects) and serves it to me. I go to grab my pretend milkshake and pretend I'm drinking from a straw...

Gabriel: "No, Mommy. I haven't given you the straw yet."
Me: "Ooops!"
Gabriel: "Here ya go. How does it taste?"
Me: "MMMM - good!"
Gabriel: "I know, strawberry milkshake is my favorite! Okay, Mama now I will be the customer and you be "the person."

And we continued to play like that for 45 minutes. It was so much fun, and I loved watching his little imagination at work.

That was the most accomplished part of my day.

4 comments:

Mel said...

You are such a good mom! This is a good reminder to me not to put off those moments - and make my kids part of my to-do list!

Sapp Family said...

I've had moments like this, so I can totally relate! Gabriel has grown so much! I seriously wish we lived closer so that Aimee could play with her cousin...she would absolutely love it! Love you!

Sarah said...

So cute!

One of my new year's resolutions was actually to clean less! I just felt like I was getting way too uptight and not just taking time to really play with my girls with no distractions. And besides, playing is much more fun than cleaning :)

Belle said...

:) those are the moments I'm trying to take more often :) it's such a balance. It is good when I try to involve them in what I'm doing, that works, but putting their wants and needs first needs to be done more!