Monday, May 9, 2011

"Tell Me About When I Was Born..."

My little Gabriel will be FOUR years old in a few, short months. I still rock him before bed. I just love the special time it gives us to talk and cuddle. It usually goes a little something like this (every last detail recorded for journaling purposes):


Gabriel:  Mama, let's talk about my day.

Mama:  Well, you woke up this morning and crawled into our bed for cuddle time. Then we got up, got dressed, ate breakfast, brushed our teeth and combed our hair. Then you went to school where you played with your friends, painted, read books, checked out the growing corn seed you planted, learned sign language, ate lunch, sang and danced, played on the jungle gym; and then Daddy picked you up and you were pretty excited to see him.

Gabriel: Yup, I was soooo happy he came and I gave him a hug.

Mama: Yes, and then you went home with Daddy and watched "Max and Ruby," then you picked up mommy from school and we came home and you colored and cut paper while mommy cooked. Then we ate dinner, even though you didn't really like the dinner.

Gabriel: I don't really like to eat peas.

Mama: I know, but they are soooo good for you. Then Nana left for work and we read scriptures and  you took a bath and...

Gabriel: Don't forget I brushed my teeth!

Mama: Of course! Then you got jammies on and said your prayers and now we're having talk-time and getting ready for bed...AND that was your DAY!

Gabriel: Mama, tell me about when I was born.

Mama: A long time ago you lived in Heaven with Heavenly Father and Jesus. One day Jesus came to you and said, "Gabriel, are you ready to go to earth to meet your family?" (he always giggles at that part) And you said....

Gabriel: YES!

Mama: So Jesus sent your spirit down to earth into mommy's tummy where you grew and grew and grew...

Gabriel: So big that your tummy was sticking out!

Mama: Yes! And then it was time for you to be born, only you had a hard time coming out so the doctors cut mommy's tummy and pulled you out...

Gabriel: And when I came out I was crying and peeing on the doctor! (he loves that part)

Mama: Yes, and then they wiped you with a towel and wrapped you in a blanket and handed you to Daddy, and he loved you right away! Then Daddy brought you over to mommy and I was SOOOO happy to finally meet you that I had tears in my eyes while I kissed your chubby, little cheeks. Then the WHOLE family came to see you in the hospital because they were so excited to see you.

Gabriel: Yup, Grandma and Papa and Julian and Jory and Great Grandma and George...

Mama: Yes, and everybody loved you sooooo much!

Gabriel (hugging me tight around the neck): I love you, Mama. Will you sing two songs: Twinkle-Twinkle and Lullaby? (Those are his favorite and are always requested).

So then I sing to him and snuggle him and tuck him into bed -  "Snug as a bug in a rug," and top it all off with multiple kisses to the cheeks and forehead.

He will never be this age again, and it won't be long before he will be "too big" for all of this, so I enjoy and cherish every conversation and tender moment. It's such a privilage and a blessing to be a parent.

4 comments:

Megan said...

you are seriously such a good mom, you inspire me and remind me what i should be doing..... thanks!

JoshandJen said...

What a sweet sweet picture of you and gabriel!! I agree with the other comment, you are such an awesome mom! I so am looking forward to being able to have cute conversations like that with my little ones...

Lisa said...

That is soooo sweet! It looks like you are treasuring each moment! You are a great Mom! And you are looking awesome by the way!

Celeste Tabakece said...

LOVE!!!