This is a very personal post. Since this blog is public I usually save the really personal stuff to add in later when I actually download my blog to print to book (seeing as this blog acts as our family history record). But, I guess I feel like sharing this experience publicly, because maybe someone else has had a similar experience (and can give me pointers)...or maybe they will have this experience in the future and find some sanity in reading this, because right now I do not feel very sane.
Very few people know that I'm on an anti-depressant. I started it (Citalopram-aka Celexa) about 10 months after Gabriel was born (around Apr 2008) because I had some pretty bad postpartum depression. When he was about 20 months I decided to stop taking it (Around Mar 2009), because I figured the post-partum stuff was done with. I didn't have too hard of a time getting off of the medication (probably because I wasn't on it very long).
Then we moved half way across the country to Ohio, and I missed my family; my mother-in-law moved in with us (which was stressful); I was laid off from job after job and had a difficult time finding another (which meant MAJOR financial stress); experienced a miscarriage, and often-times I self-medicated with food, which meant I put on about 50lbs on my already overweight body. It was a really low point for me, and I just couldn't pull out of it. So, I went to a psychiatrist and he prescribed Lexapro along with some cognitive therapy. It took a few months, but things started to improve (mood/coping wise). I've been on the Lexapro for two years now and it has been REALLY helpful for me.
However, I don't want to take it for the rest of my life, so last month I decided to gradually wean myself off of it. I've heard Lexapro (as with other SSRI drugs) can have some pretty rough withdrawal symptoms, so I was kind of bracing myself for a few headaches. The first few weeks there was hardly a noticeable change - I've just had some insomnia, so I thought I was just lucky getting away so easy. But this past week is almost unbearable, perhaps because I'm down to only a half dose once per week.
The first symptom to hit me is what I call "brain zaps." Anytime I shift my eyes or head it's like this rattled dizziness hits me for about 5-10 seconds. Then came the exhaustion - an exhaustion I've never known. It takes every ounce of energy just to stand up. Then there are these flu-like symptoms of horrible body aches, weakness, nausea and migraine level headaches that don't respond to headache medicine. I also feel really foggy and unable to focus (mentally or visually). Mix all that with insomnia and some MAJOR irritability and I just don't even feel human, which means I'm the worst mommy and wife right now. It's horrible, and I just want it to end. The only thing keeping me sane is reminding myself that I won't feel like this forever.
I know with all medications you have to weigh the side effects with the actual treatment, and Lexapro REALLY helped me when I needed it, but this just sucks and I hope I never need to go on it again.
7 comments:
I still LOVE you Honey.I know you have been through alot.O yau Domoni iko vakalevu
Alrighty Ursala, you gotta call me when you are feeling like this!! I know what you mean and how you are feeling, I have been on different medications throughout my life since I was a teenager and at one point i was on a med like you are on, and others that have had the same effect when trying to take myself off of them (I actually experienced this just lately with my one medicine for my arthritis pain and felt everything you described) there were times I thought I was just going to cave and take it again, but I just stayed focused and determined to get off of it. I will tell you that it will not last forever, I think it took about 2 months for me (recently) for me to get past those ill effects..I totally understsand how you are feeling, it is a VERY hard thing to go through but I KNOW you can do it! You are an amazing wife, mother, lady and FRIEND!!! If you need to talk or anything let me know! We will get together next week for sure and talk about all of this going on. Love you!
Ursala, your the most beautiful person, inside and out!!! I KNOW you will get through this. And you could NEVER be a bad mom or wife. By the way I think your looking pretty stink'n HOT :)
Ursala! I'm so sorry you're going through all this right now. No fun! If you ever need to talk, you can most definitely call me...I'll always make time for you. :) Come to think of it, if you can, you should call me sometime... we got a new phone and weren't able to get any of the numbers off our old phone, so I need yours! Anyway, I'll be sure to keep you in my prayers and hope that this passes quickly. I love you!
So sorry; that sounds horrible. I will keep you in my prayers that this will pass quickly for you! Lots of love!
I'm so sorry that you're going through this right now! If you need anything (and I mean it!!) please let me know. We'd love to have Gabriel over if you need a nap or a break or anything like that!
Ugh. Blah. YUCK! So sorry you are feeling this way. It's not fun when you don't feel like yourself.
A few of the symptoms you mentioned caught my attention--body aches, headaches, mood swings, tiredness, foggy memory and focus. I experienced those when my thyroid hormone was off. Have you ever had your thyroid levels checked? If your thyroid is sluggish, it can present with very non-specific symptoms like these. It might be worth looking into.
Sending you good vibes.
Post a Comment