Monday, June 29, 2009

Picking Raspberries

Ohio is like a jungle. It rains so much here and is so humid that you have everything wild growing in your backyard. We don't even try to tame the small forest in our yard, but we will enjoy it's fruits! We have wild raspberries and wild grapes (who knew there was such a thing as wild grapes)?! Right now the raspberries are ripe so we've been picking them before the birds eat them. Gabriel had such a good time! He kept saying, "I pick stawbewie." "Stawbewie sour." I would tell him they are raspberries but he was convinced they were strawberries. Wild raspberries are a little more tart than your regular, farmed raspberries...but they are still yummy and oh-so-good for you!
Our Little Explorer

Picking "stawbewies"

Gotta taste 'em

Then you gotta eat 'em
Then of course you squish 'em
Then you admire your collection
We found a friend - Japanese Beetle (they actually aren't friendly for berry crops, but Gabriel liked looking at it).
Yummy, wild raspberries!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Those look soooo yummy! How great that you have fruit in your yard! Sorry we're going to miss you this weekend. Call us when you know your schedule and have some free time and we'll plan something!

Sapp Family said...

Mmmm....I love raspberries! Especially wild ones. I also love all the pictures you took...nice job! And I miss you guys too. Love you!

Todd and Angie Powell said...

How cool! Hannah would love that Beetle. Gabriel is such a cutie.

Did you guys buy a house?

Belle said...

How nice! I LOVE all berries!!@ Blackberries grow wild in WA where I grew up. . . That's so neat he said his first audible prayer:) Mere folds her arms and speaks gibberish, it's cute. Gabriel really looks like my brother in some of his photos :) Glad you're settling in over there!We didn't move far-just to a 3 bedroom within the same town-only about 8 blocks, but it's lots nicer... I think you have our new cell # now?