Tuesday, February 15, 2011

WHY THIS POST IS SO IMPORTANT...

Well, I usually keep medical issues kind of private, but I've learned something really important through this experience that I don't think many of us are aware of. So, I felt it was important to share what I know and promote awareness.

I found a lump in my breast this past December while doing a self examination. I haven't always been diligent with my breast self-exams until this past year. I always assumed we were supposed to do breast exams to look for lumps. However, most women have lumpy-feeling breast tissue, so it can sometimes be difficult to tell if it's a lump or just a normal part of your breast tissue.

MY POINT: The REASON we are asked to do MONTHLY self breast exams is to become FAMILIAR with our breasts - how they look and feel. When we are familiar then it is very easy to detect any abnormalities.

That is how I found my lump. I have very lumpy-feeling breasts, and if I had not been conducting regular self breast exams I would not have known if the lump I found was a normal part of my breast or an actual mass. The lump was fairly large, so the next month I had my doctor do an exam and she felt it was necessary to ultrasound my breast to determine if the lump was a cyst or a tumor. After having the ultrasound they concluded it was a tumor, 1 inch in diameter, called a fibroadenoma, which in most cases is benign. However, to be sure they need to do a biopsy to rule out any cancer. My biopsy is tomorrow, and I will be given the results next week.

My doctor and I are pretty sure it's benign. I have no family history. The lump can be moved around, which is good, because it means it hasn't planted or rooted itself into the tissue like cancer does. Not to mention 80% of breast lumps are benign...so the odds are in my favor.

I share all of this, because I never realized how important self breast exams were and WHY we should be doing them every month. So, get familiar with your breasts. Know what they look like and how they normally feel - DO THOSE MONTHLY BREAST SELF-EXAMS.

The Susan G. Komen for the Cure website has a GREAT page and interactive tool/video that will help you understand what you should be LOOKING and FEELING for during your Breast Self-Exam. I urge you all to take the time to at least watch the Breast Self Awareness Tool and become familiar with your breasts!











---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post-Script

2/15/11: Biopsy went well. Was a little more involved than I was expecting. They placed a tiny, metal tag where they took the sample to mark the tumor. My boob is so black and blue it looks like it was used as a punching bag.

2/23/11: Met with the doctor and my biopsy sample came back (as expected) NEGATIVE for malignancy (NOT CANCER)! Will follow-up in 6 months with an ultrasound to check on growth. If it gets much bigger they will remove it.

11 comments:

Heather said...

Thank you. This is something I never think about and kind of brush off. I appreciate the reminder and hour blunt honesty. My prayers are with you. Thanks again

M & S Eagar said...

My prayers are with you too. Scary stuff. I know that Janey would be happy to totally fill in tomorrow night if you don't feel up to it...emotionally, mentally, physically etc... Please let me know. Good Luck.

JoshandJen said...

I never think to do this, I have probably only done it about 4 times in my life and because mine are lumpier as well, I figure I would not be able to tell a difference so whats the point. But you are so right and we should familiarize ourselves with them. Especially with all of the cancer we are dealing wtih in our family right now has made me realize how important it is and to be more aware of cancer, because it really can happen to anybody. Thank you for the tips and tools to learn more.

Mel said...

Thanks for the reminder! I hope you will be ok with the issues you are having and are over the "scare" of it. I'm glad to hear that most likely it isn't cancerous - good luck!

Dana said...

Good luck. Thank you for sharing! I hope everything turns out ok! I will definitely be more diligent!

Lisa said...

Wow Urs. Keep us updated and I hope everything turns out okay. And thanks for the reminder.

Sapp Family said...

This is good to know. Thanks so much for sharing this information! I've never done breast self-examinations, so I'd better get on that and become familiar with mine. I love you and pray your results come back with good news!

Belle said...

One of those well needed reminders :) we've had breast cancer on both sides of the family...keep us updated on your results!

Thanks for the Valentine!!! Mere wanted to eat that candy heart! So cute! I love reading your blog, but've been awful at blogs since we got our new computer...now I'm bookmarking them... I love the Gabrielisms. I think you are an amazing mom! Your love for your son shines through :) Glenn is getting big, Mere too. It's fun, usually...

Sarah said...

awesome, awesome post! breast cancer runs in my family, so I always need a good reminder to do a breast exam. So glad everything worked out for you!

Scott and Lindsay said...

Oh my goodness! i can't believe this you poor thing, what a scary thing to wait through! I'm glad everthing's okay!

Samantha said...

So, I should be working, but I'm not, heh heh. Instead, I'm reading your blog, and LOVING it. Considering my recent interlude with cancer, I wanted to say that I am so happy you had this lump checked. In the un-creepiest way possible, I will be sending good vibes to the ta-ta's.